How to write and develop a thesis for a research project?
A thesis contains the central message stating the topic and subject of research. It helps an author present the main argument and purpose of research and share it with the target audience so that they can develop a better understanding of the topic. A researcher can build the manuscript structure with the help of a strong thesis statement. The thesis supports the author’s opinions and views on the subject by reflecting the author’s ideas in a condensed form. A thesis statement helps the author focus on the key concept and define the scope and aim of the research. Different types of thesis statements are as follows.
Argumentative thesis: It states the main topic of research and the reason for choosing the topic. Author’s ideas are conveyed and presented as an assertion. An argumentative thesis statement is focused and helps the author make argumentative claims supported by research.
Analytical thesis: The statement is used to describe the research analysis and conclusion. The author makes an assertion and briefly explains the “how” and “why” part of the research. Supporting evidence is also included with the claim.
Expository thesis: The statement describes the main aspects of the topic discussed further in the research paper. It provides additional information to the readers about the paper.
Process of creating an impactful and effective thesis statement
- Ensure that your research topic has an aim. The research idea should be original and must define the aim and objective so that it can be developed further. The author should list the names of the resources and techniques required to conduct the research.
- Enough information should be available. The topic of research chosen by the author must be researchable. Gathering essential data by the author should be viable using primary and secondary sources such as journals, article databases, and online search engines.
- Authors must identify the literature gaps in published research work. Discovering a new avenue for research is important, which can be done by assessing credible sources of information.
- Work on an interesting idea. Every author writes an academic manuscript with the intent to engage and inform the target audience. The readers form their opinions by reading the thesis that describes the main idea. An academic manuscript need not necessarily be mundane. By using figurative language and including interesting details authors can improve their writing.
- Collect relevant data using quantitative and qualitative methods. Surveys, questionnaires, e-mail, and online or offline database are made use of to collect quantitative data. Observation, interviews, and focus groups are used to collect qualitative data. Such methods are used to study the research variables and define the research objectives and your theoretical framework.
How to write a research thesis?
A thesis describes the framework of the research and is concise as well as compact. It is crafted in such a way that it grabs the attention of the readers. It may contain one or more research questions depending on the subject area, which the author combines and frames the introduction section. Including the findings and results helps the author to inform the readers about the research progress. Here the author can also include the relevant findings in the literature and how their research work can contribute to the research community.
Important tips to keep in mind while creating the thesis statement
- Avoid the use of phrases and clauses.
- Never use dangling participles to frame sentences.
- Minimize the use of qualitative adjectives.
- Insert tables to present repetitive information.
- Include background material to define the research context.
- Only describe the key points and trends in tables.
- Remove components such as conclusion, interpretation, or discussion that are not relevant to research.
- Hire a professional editor and avail editing services.